Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Heartbreak


I can't think of many things in this world that are more frightening to me than cancer. It's a nasty disease that has plagued my family... my cousin Jessica beat it, both of my grandpas passed away from it, my grandma has had chunks of flesh removed because of it. The word seems to be plastered on billboards, in magazines, and we are constantly reminded to take precautions against it. But to me, it seems like if you're going to get it, you're going to get it.

I was in a sorority at Weber State back in my younger days and Laura was one of my sisters. I haven't seen her since our friend Tamsen's wedding but we have kept in touch through Facebook. Her family has had a rough go of it over the past year and a half. At just 15 months old her son Griffin was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma. He has undergone multiple surgeries, radiation and chemotherapy treatments. The updates and pictures they posted would bring me to tears. The thought of such a tiny, innocent person having to go through that is inconceivable to me. Earlier this year they heard some fabulous news... he was in remission. He was finally able to go out and do the things a little boy should be able to do. I can't imagine the relief and joy they must have felt!

Recently Griffin began waking in the night with stomach pain and spiking a fever. Because of his medical history they decided not to take any chances and he went in for a series of scans this week. Yesterday they received the heartbreaking news... he had relapsed. The tumor had not grown in size, however, there is the presence of active cancer cells. I cannot imagine the fear of the possibility of what lies ahead. My heart goes out to Laura, Travis and little Griffin. His treatment will be more aggressive this time around which is crazy because I thought the treatment he just completed sounded pretty aggressive.

I pray for and think about that sweet little boy daily. I feel compelled to help yet I feel so helpless. I hate that feeling... helplessness.
I decided that the least I can do is to join the fundraising efforts and participate with Team Griffin in the CureSearch walk this October. I put a link to the donations page on my sidebar... I want to try and raise $500. If you are able to donate to this amazing cause please do not hesitate. I am thankful every day for my healthy children and pray that if something were to happen to them that others would reach out as well.

God bless Griffin and his family!