Saturday, July 4, 2009

Reflections on the 4th


Last night as I was watching some amazing fireworks, the song "God Bless the USA" began to echo throughout the stadium. There is something about that song that gets me feeling a bit emotional every time. I remember singing it way back in elementary school and the words stick with me today:

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

I truly am so thankful to live in this country and to have the privilege to have the freedoms that I have. There is so much unrest in the world. I thank my lucky starts that I don't have to worry about bombs going off in the middle of my street, or whether or not someone with explosives strapped to their body walks into the restaurant I'm eating in. I'm thankful that I can go to sleep at night and not worry about whether or not my family will be able to survive another day.

There have been so many who have sacrificed their lives, families, and all that they have, to provide us with this freedom and I thank you sincerely.

Happy birthday America.