Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forgotten

I'm not a big fan of watching football on T.V. I like going to games and being in the stands with the fans, music, and food, but it's not the same watching it from home. Football is on in our house every Sunday and I almost dread it... but today was an exception. I've cried on this day for the last ten years and I probably will in the years to come. Nothing brought tears to my eyes like listening to Jim Cornelison sing the Star Spangled Banner at the NFL commemoration before the Bears Vs. Falcons game today. The gigantic American flag was stretched across the field while the fans cheered like I've never heard them cheer before. He sang with such intensity and fervor, it gave me the chills.

I don't know anyone personally who died in the attacks that day, and I could never begin to understand how they or their families felt or continue to feel. My heart still breaks for them every time I relive the unbelievable moment I saw the second plane crash into the tower. It breaks when I see the children of parents lost that never knew them, as well as other relatives, lovers, and friends. I pray that we never have to experience a loss of such magnitude ever again and that people can learn to live harmoniously regardless of religion, politics, or personal beliefs.

I love this country and I am grateful to all of the people who willingly place themselves in harms way to protect it, and to all of the people who never imagined they would have to fight but did it anyway to save a coworker, stranger, or a friend. We truly will never forget...