Sunday, January 8, 2012

Acceptance

I have accepted the fact that I have a problem with assuming others see things the way I do. I know this is false, but nonetheless it has been something that has plagued my existence. Sometimes I look at another person and wonder how in the world they can't see the problem in their life that is so obvious to me, and why don't they just fix it? Yet, I have lived my life with a blind eye to my own while I'm sure other people have seen them plain as day. I'm going to work on this, and I'm going to work on it hard. I have certain, specific examples of people that I am going to attempt this on, mainly because they are people who are very close to me. I have realized that I need to simply be available, be a listening ear, be a person you can talk to. I need to stop trying to make people see it my way and listen to what they have to say. Sometimes a person doesn't want you to fix it, they just want you to hear them.

In the Feelings Buried Alive... book that I am reading it talks about unconditional acceptance of yourself and others. It says that if we concentrate on reforming and accepting our own ways, change will occur in ourselves as well as others around us. As your energy changes within you, it changes the energy between you and other people. I know my siblings can say that I have always been the bossy, know-it-all who tries to tell everyone else how to do things. I've heard them make fun of me for it many times and I've never really done anything about it. I've just assumed it was my personality and that was that. Well, I've decided I don't want it to be a part of my personality anymore, it needs to go away. I want my children to be able to come to me and know that I will listen, know that I will be there for them regardless of what they choose. I don't want to tell them what they should do unless they ask. I want them to seek me out before they look to others for help or advice.