Monday, September 8, 2008

A Beautiful Day for a Funeral


I'm not being biased just because he's my grandpa,
I'm only saying it because it's true.
If there is such a thing as a wonderful, inspiring funeral,
it was the one held in behalf of my dear grandfather today.


I don't think there was one person there today that left
without a desire to become a better person.
As my grandmother was speaking today,
she said something that will stand out in my mind forever.....

Don't be sad because he's gone, be happy because he was here.



There is so much truth to that.
So often I dwell on the fact that he isn't here anymore.
When really, I am the luckiest person in the world to be his
grand-daughter,
and lucky to have known him for 28 years.



There are so many things I will miss,
but I have gained wonderful memories
that will stay with me forever.
Picking raspberries in the garden, working on his cars,
fishing, doing taxes in the family room,
eating fresh sliced tomatoes,
hearing him say "how's my Meggie-Meg",
mowing the lawn, pruning the trees,
seeing him at my softball games and dance performances,
riding with him to school at Weber State as
he taught Economics and I began my college years,
watching tv in his lay-z-boy, working in the green house,
celebrating birthdays on the deck, the biggest-brightest smile,
rolling his eyes when grandma told him to
comb his hair and change his clothes,
handing me the keys to my first car he fixed just for me,
ice cream runs to Country Boy Dairy,
three hand squeezes meaning 'I love you',
seeing how much he loves little Adelaide,
and last but not least, pure and absolute unconditional love.


All of the grandchildren released a balloon in his honor.
My grandmother received the flag that was laid on his casket
in his honor of serving his country in Korea.
We reminisced about wonderful times with
family we haven't seen in years. We celebrated the life of a most
wonderful, patient, loving, giving, and thoughtful man.
As a note, I have never seen so many people at a viewing before.
There were approximately 400 people that came by
Sunday night alone. He was loved by all and he will
be dearly missed, but dearly remembered.

I love you more than you can know gramps.
You are my sunshine.........