Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Test

I took the Myers-Briggs Type test today for the first time. I feel like I'm the last one in this world to know about it, but maybe not. It's a personality type test to help a person figure out what they might be best at (profession wise) in this life. I didn't know quite what to expect, but I must say that I am totally impressed. It had me pinned down to a T.

I didn't initiate this test on my own, my manager asked me to take it because we are going to a Myers-Briggs conference tomorrow. She thought it would be a good idea to take it so we had a fresh understanding of it before the conference. After taking the test, I feel like I was supposed to take it now, just for me.

I probably wouldn't have ever taken this on my own because I wouldn't have thought about it. But, it's probably one of the most helpful, and personally insightful things I've ever done. I think it goes along well with my journey of self-discovery. Along with therapy and now this test, it has opened up my eyes so much to what kind of person I am and what I can become. At least for the moment. I sat with a counselor for over an hour going over what every part of the test meant, according to my life and personality. It was really quite insightful actually.

He made me realize that we should take our passions and the things we really love, and go for them. Like I've said before, we are the only ones that hold ourselves back and I truly believe that. I thought about all of the things I've wanted to do and why I haven't done them. All because I told myself I couldn't for one reason or another. All of the excuses I've given myself have been lame and absurd really. There is no reason I cannot do what I want to and that's that.

So my point is......if you haven't taken it before I highly recommend it. It's kind of amazing how much you can learn about you!