Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm Going to Hate Apples


For about the past 6 or 7 weeks I have been experiencing super-bad stomach aches after I eat. I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago and she thought I had ulcers. I went on ulcer meds for about two weeks and it didn't help one bit. Her next idea is that it's my gallbladder. Now, I was tested about three years ago for gallstones and there were none. There was some stuff in there they called "sludge" but nothing that I wanted to get my gallbladder yanked out for. I just dealt with the pain for a while and it eventually went away. Now here I am three years later, same pains, same insane discomfort (but maybe way worse). I went in for an ultrasound today and sure enough, tons of stones.

I know my doctor is going to refer me to a surgeon, but I have a confession to make...

I am TERRIFIED of surgery. I don't care if it's a microscopic incision that won't even make a mark, I don't want my body cut. Period.
Somebody could give me a million bucks to get "enhanced" (if you know what I mean) and I wouldn't do it. I think that people who go under the knife voluntarily are CRAZY! But that's another story.

So I decided to try something first, see if I can find a natural way to clear them out. I must thank my fabulous neighbors who are all-knowing in the ways of natural remedies that enlightened me with a way to do a "gallbladder cleanse".

This isn't pretty people. I started it today and I truly think I will hate apples, lemons, and olive oil when I'm done.

Here's the deal:
For 3 days you drink absolutely nothing but unfiltered apple juice and water (but mostly apple juice) and lots of it!
You can eat up to three peeled apples a day for your meals.

That's it, that's your diet for three days, and then...
The night of your third day you make a fancy little mixture of 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup olive oil. And drink it all. Yikes!

But I'm going to do it. If it means three days of sacrifice for a life free of gallstones, I'll do it and I'll do it again if I have to.

It seems that the apples and juice are supposed to soften the stones, then the olive oil mixture is supposed to flush them out.

Now I pray and wait and see. This has to work because I am NOT having surgery, I tell you I am not.

Wish me luck...