Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Finding Meaning

Back to my book of wonderful inspiration, I cam upon this sentence:

"A tree with strong roots can withstand the most violent storm, but the tree can't grow roots just as the storm appears on the horizon."

It seems that I find myself trying to find myself and other meaning in my life when I am in the depths of despair. Why does it take until we have hit rock bottom to finally look up and see the light? I seem to be the tree that tries to grow it's roots as the storm is starting to appear. By this time everything has become more difficult and it takes much more effort to rebound and pick yourself back up again. My stinkin' weak roots. The Dalai Lama talks a lot about finding meaning in our times of happiness as well as sorrow. We should be searching and becoming stronger at all times, not just the sad ones.

So I made a goal. I made a goal to try and face the small challenges as they come (usually daily) instead of putting them aside like they don't matter. That is what I tend to do. Then everything tends to build up and become a mess of a problem. A huge storm if you will. I imagine that's similar to growing a strong root system. Just a little at a time, then when something large does arise, you are strong enough to hold your ground.

I think one of the easiest ways for me to face things is to just let life happen. I have such ideologies in my head of how things should be, where I got them I don't know. But the way I think things should be are not necessarily how they actually are. Thank you Hollywood, the media, you know who you are.

Let life happen, work on things daily, become a strong, happy tree. That is going to be me.